When you want to add more than flavor to the meals you love the most, try the following three healthy herbs that are filled with antioxidants that help to fight disease, as well as vitamins and minerals that enhance overall wellbeing.
What Are the Benefits of Using Healthy Herbs When Cooking?
There are many great reasons why you should be adding some tasty, healthy herbs to your recipes. Plus, with so many delicious recipes out there that you can try, even if you haven’t ever used herbs in your cooking before, you don’t even have to worry at all about where to begin.
Here are a few of the main benefits of using herbs in your meals:
- According to WebMD, herbs can serve as a tasty substitute for salt in a meal. If you are hoping to cut back on your sodium intake, try using more herbs to enjoy flavor without relying on salt.
- Herbs can help promote healthy digestion, which is important for overall health.
- Herbs can support your immune system by helping to naturally combat germs and bacteria.
- Herbs can help reduce inflammation throughout the body, which is important when it comes to reducing the risk of various diseases.
- Herbs are low in calories, yet full of flavor, so they are a great addition to your diet when you are trying to lose weight and follow a low-calorie meal plan.
Three Healthy Herbs to Try Right Away
If you aren’t doing so already, definitely consider adding the following herbs to your shopping list. Whether you buy them fresh or dried is entirely up to you and the recipes that these herbs will go in. No matter what, you will be reaping the health benefits of these nutritious ingredients, as well as enjoying the incredible flavors that they add to your meals. Eating healthier has never been more delightful or easy!
- Rosemary – The benefits of this herb aren’t just in its consumption. Recent research has suggested that the clean, sharp scent of the herb, which is released while the leaves are being chopped, can help to boost your mood. Furthermore, research has also shown that eating rosemary can help to increase alertness and improve the memory.
Suggested uses: add some rosemary to a vegetable shish kebab before you toss it on the grill. It also enhances the flavor of chicken, lamb, and pork.
- Dill – This herb has been used in natural medicine for millennia, having been a favorite of Ancient Egyptians who used it as a painkiller, the Ancient Greeks who used it to achieve better sleep, and the Ancient Romans who used it for wound healing. Today’s research suggests that it is also effective for relieving indigestion and reducing spasms in the intestinal tract.
Suggested uses: dill tastes great on light and delicate dishes such as chicken breast, fish, veggies, salad, and sauces and dips that are yogurt-based.
- Basil – This is an herb that is very dense in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It is often considered to be among the healthiest herb choices. Two tablespoons of this herb will provide you with over a quarter of your daily requirements of vitamin K, which are critical to maintaining healthy bones. Basil has also been associated with improved sleep at night because it is a good source of magnesium, which is a natural form of relaxant. As such, it also helps to ease stress levels.
Suggested uses: though this combines well with virtually every vegetable, it is especially tasty when combined with dishes that are tomato-based. In fact, a few slices of tomato with nothing more than chopped fresh basil leaves overtop is an extremely flavorful and satisfying addition to any summer meal.
Other Healthy Herbs and Spices That Are Worth Trying
In addition to the three healthy herbs listed above, there are a variety of other delicious and nutritious herbs and spices that you can incorporate into your meals. They include:
Consider Growing Your Own Healthy Herbs Right at Home!
Though you can keep these herbs on hand in their dry form, their benefits are best enjoyed when they are used fresh. Even better, you can grow your own herb garden on your kitchen windowsill to make sure that you are always receiving the best and most nutrient rich versions of each of these healthy herbs.
Now that you know about a few of the many herbs that you can easily purchase and start using in your cooking, what are you waiting for? With so many wonderful benefits, this is a wise way to improve your healthy lifestyle, especially if you want to lose weight, stay fit, and support your overall health.